Sunday, October 31, 2010

Leg 35: 25 miles later...

My warm up was terrible, I was so tight and felt slow as hell.  Albeit, I managed to run 31:00 through the first 4 miles before I was joined by the rest of the group for the final mile.  During our trot onto campus all I could think about was how awesome it was going to be to actually lay down and get some real sleep.  At the finish there was chocolate milk for recovery and Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  My past experiences with running and Krispy Kreme doughnuts prompted me to gag just upon the thought of it, but I choked one down anyway.

All in all I had a good time, considering I had no intention to participate in this event at the start of the training and waited until the last possible moment to fully commit to it.  Seriously, I waffled on this more than Brett Favre did on coming out of retirement.  Rightfully so, there's nothing that sounds fun about driving to Boone in the middle of the night only to turn around an hour later and run a 30 hour long distance relay on what would be at best considered broken sleep, without a partner to get me pumped up, to lean on during the pace killing climbs or to push me through fatigue. 

This experience has been one of the most unique things I have ever partaken in and has redefined what I thought my limitations were. 

At this time I personally would like to give a shout out to some very UN-official sponsors:

To everyone at Mitzel Inc. who supported me throughtout the training and helped make this possible
Asics Shoes
Nike Running
CW-X
Under Armour
Starter
The Total Pillow
Carolina West Sports Medicine
HealthWorks Rehab and Fitness, Morgantown WV
Sterling Tent and Awning
Cherokee High School
Grafton High School
The 'Pride of Attica' Marching Band
The Hamilton Tigercats
Quaker Oats
Powerade
Post Cereal
Huggies Baby Wipes
Angel Soft Toilet Paper
Great Value bottled water
Chiquita
Apple iPod and iTunes
Shure Noise-Limiting Ear Buds
Mars Candy Bars
Sports Health

-Mitzel Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment