Friday, October 7, 2011

Leg Seven: The Great Wide Open

This was my first run of the 2011 R4R and after watching everyone else run, I was ready to go. The first mile was a beautiful downhill path that probably got the best of my enthusiasm. I clicked off the first mike in 5:30 pace and felt pretty good. Then the parkway reared it's ugly head. A long climb of about a mile and the realization that I was running at 6000 feet altitude slowed my pace significantly. Miles 3-5 were a combination of short climbs and nice decents. Definitely not a tough run on the Blue Ridge Parkway... Pretty much your standard 5 miles of ups and downs. By mile 5, I was sucking wind and was ready to grab some water and jump in the van. I hoped to keep my early pace going and run inder 35:00. Alas, the hills and altitude took their toll and my time was 35:40. Overall, a very good start to the 2011 R4R!

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment